CHICAGO (June 6, 2022) – Two-time Olympic gold medalist and two-time FIFA Women’s World Cup Champion Mia Hamm shall be inducted into the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame. The United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee introduced the Class of 2022 right now, who shall be honored and inducted in a ceremony held Friday, June 24, on the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Museum in Colorado Springs. The class of 2022 is made up of eight people, two groups, two legends, one coach and one particular contributor.
One of essentially the most prolific scorers in world soccer historical past, Hamm helped lead the U.S. Women’s National Team to gold on the 1996 Summer Games in Atlanta, the primary Olympics to characteristic ladies’s soccer, and once more on the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens to shut out her historic profession. Hamm additionally captured silver with the USA on the 2000 Olympics whereas profitable the World Cup in each 1991 and 1999. The 1996 Olympic Team was inducted into the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Hall of Fame as a part of the Class of 2004 whereas fellow USWNT legend Kristine Lilly was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a person in 2012.
In addition to Hamm, the Class of 2022 inductees embody Natalie Coughlin (swimming), Muffy Davis (Para alpine snowboarding and Para-cycling), David Kiley (Para alpine snowboarding, Para observe and area, and wheelchair basketball), Michelle Kwan (determine skating), Michael Phelps (swimming), Lindsey Vonn (alpine snowboarding), Trischa Zorn-Hudson (Para swimming), the 1976 Women’s 4×100 Freestyle Relay Swimming Team, the 2002 Paralympic Sled Hockey Team, Gretchen Fraser (legend: alpine snowboarding), Roger Kingdom (legend: observe and area), Pat Summitt (coach: basketball) and Billie Jean King (particular contributor).
“It’s a distinct honor to welcome the class of 2022 into the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame and to celebrate their remarkable individual and team achievements as representatives of Team USA,” mentioned USOPC CEO Sarah Hirshland. “Induction into the Hall of Fame adds to the tremendous legacies of these great athletes and teams, and also memorializes the contributions of those members of the “team behind the team” who devoted themselves to serving to Team USA obtain success on and off the sector of play.”
The class of 2022 has represented the United States as athletes at a mixd 27 Olympic and Paralympic Games, tallying 129 medals, together with 86 golds. There are additionally two new sports activities or sport disciplines added to the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame, with Muffy Davis as a Para-cyclist and the 2002 sled hockey staff. Pat Summitt and Billie Jean King change into the primary feminine inductees within the coach and particular contributor classes, respectively.
National Governing Bodies, alumni, present athletes and extra members of the Olympic and Paralympic neighborhood have been invited to appoint eligible athletes. From there, a nominating committee comprised of people from the Olympic and Paralympic actions narrowed it right down to a set of finalists. The class of 2022 was decided by a voting course of that features Olympians and Paralympians, members of the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic household, and an internet vote open to followers. The U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame was one of many first nationwide sports activities halls of fame to incorporate fan voting as a part of its choice course of, and this yr, greater than 432,000 votes have been forged throughout all platforms.
This would be the seventeenth class inducted into the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame, bringing the full to 168 inductees (people and groups). The top quality was inducted in 1983 and the newest class was inducted in 2019. Find your complete record of Hall of Fame inductees right here.
The distinguished class of 2022 contains:
- Natalie Coughlin (swimming – 2004, 2008, 2012): In three Olympic Games, Natalie Coughlin competed in 12 occasions and gained 12 medals, and have become the primary U.S. feminine athlete to win six medals at a single Games. She is tied for essentially the most Olympic medals for a U.S. feminine athlete.
- Muffy Davis (Para alpine snowboarding and Para-cycling – 1998, 2002, 2012): A seven-time Paralympic medalist, Davis has been part of the Paralympic Movement for 20 years as an athlete, ambassador, volunteer, and energetic member of a number of committees. She is a two-term IPC Governing Board member and at the moment serves on the USOPC Governing Board and USOPC Paralympic Advisory Council.
- Mia Hamm (soccer – 1996, 2000, 2004): One of essentially the most embellished feminine soccer gamers in U.S. historical past, competitively, Hamm had 276 nationwide staff appearances and 158 nationwide staff objectives. She is a three-time Olympic medalist, two-time World Cup champion, two-time World Cup bronze medalist, and was the FIFA World Player of the Year in 2001 and 2002.
- David Kiley (Para alpine snowboarding, Para observe and area, and wheelchair basketball – 1976, 1980, 1988, 1992 (summer season and winter), 2000): David Kiley is a six-time Paralympian and Paralympic gold medalist throughout three sports activities. During his profession, Kiley turned the one participant to play wheelchair basketball in 4 totally different many years. Kiley went on to educate in three further Paralympic Games as part of the wheelchair basketball staff and has served as NWBA Commissioner and President.
- Michelle Kwan (determine skating – 1994 (alternate), 1998, 2002): As essentially the most embellished determine skater in U.S. historical past, Kwan is a two-time Olympic medalist, five-time world champion and nine-time world championship medalist. She competed on the senior stage for over a decade throughout essentially the most aggressive period of ladies’s determine skating and was the U.S. ladies’s champion 9 instances.
- Michael Phelps (swimming – 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016): Phelps is essentially the most embellished Olympian of all time (28 medals) and the winningest Olympian of all time (23 gold medals). The solely male U.S. swimmer to compete on 5 Olympic groups, Phelps closed out his Olympic profession with six medals in Brazil. In 2000, at age 15, he turned the youngest American male Olympian since 1932 and his eight gold medals on the 2008 Olympic Games is an Olympic report.
- Lindsey Vonn (alpine snowboarding – 2002, 2006, 2010, 2018): The most profitable feminine ski racer in historical past and with three Olympic medals to her title, Lindsey Vonn is the one American girl to ever seize downhill gold on the Olympic Winter Games and the one American girl with 4 World Cup total titles. With an 18-year profession that concluded after the 2017-18 season, she is in second place all-time internationally with a profession whole of 82 world cup victories.
- Trischa Zorn-Hudson (Para swimming – 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004): The most embellished Paralympic athlete of all time, Trischa Zorn-Hudson’s unimaginable profession spanned seven Paralympic Games over greater than 20 years. She is credited with profitable 55 Paralympic medals, together with 41 gold. Over a 12-year span from 1980 to 1992, Zorn-Hudson was unbeaten in each Paralympic race through which she competed, taking gold in 25 races.
- 1976 Women’s 4×100 Freestyle Relay Swimming Team: En path to breaking the world report by virtually 4 seconds, the ladies’s staff defeated a staff of what was later revealed to be state-sponsored, medically enhanced athletes from East Germany, within the remaining occasion on the swimming program.
- 2002 Paralympic Sled Hockey Team: The 2002 U.S. Paralympic Sled Hockey Team championship efficiency led the U.S. to its first-ever Paralympic gold in sled hockey. Going undefeated in Paralympic play, the U.S. twice defeated the 1998 gold medal profitable staff of Norway of their undefeated six-game run to the gold medal. Their gold medal on residence soil served as a catalyst for the growth of not solely sled hockey within the U.S.
- Gretchen Fraser (legend: alpine snowboarding – 1948): Gretchen Fraser turned the primary world ski star, profitable gold and silver within the debut of alpine snowboarding’s fashionable occasions on the 1948 Olympic Winter Games. In a sport that was capturing world consideration after WWII, Fraser was handled as a nationwide hero upon her triumphant return to America.
- Roger Kingdom (legend: observe and area – 1984, 1988): Roger Kingdom is a two-time Olympic gold medalist within the 110-meter hurdles in 1984 and 1988. A former world and American report holder, he’s one among solely two runners to ever win consecutive Olympic titles within the 110-meter hurdles.
- Pat Summitt (coach: basketball – 1976, athlete; 1984, coach): As a coach, Summitt helped lead the U.S. ladies’s staff to gold on the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles. During her tenure as the ladies’s basketball head coach on the University of Tennessee, Summit led the squad to eight NCAA championships and compiled extra wins than another Division I faculty basketball coach in NCAA historical past, a report that stood till 2020, and by no means missed the NCAA event in 38 years. As an athlete, Summit gained Olympic silver as a co-captain on the 1976 Games. Summit is the primary girl inducted within the teaching class.
Billie Jean King (particular contributor): Billie Jean King’s affect and taking part in type elevated the state of ladies’s tennis starting within the late Nineteen Sixties. King gained 39 main titles in her profession, competing in each singles and doubles. In addition to teaching the Olympic gold-medal-winning 1996 and 2000 U.S. ladies’s tennis groups, King captured a retwine 20 Wimbledon titles. She was one of many founders and the primary president of the Women’s Tennis Association, was a part of a gaggle that based World Team Tennis, and she or he additionally based the Women’s Sports Foundation to help ladies in sport round Title IX, which continues to have a large influence on Olympic and Paralympic sport. King is the primary girl inducted into this class.
The U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will happen June 24 and shall be hosted by NBC’s Mike Tirico. The occasion won’t be open to the general public, however a livestream shall be obtainable.
Media Information: Red-carpet arrivals, interviews and the induction awards dinner on the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Museum shall be open to the media. Access info shall be obtainable quickly.
About the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Museum
The U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Museum presents an immersive and universally-accessible look into the journey of Team USA’s Olympic and Paralympic athletes. Through interactive reveals, progressive shows and a complete artifact assortment, the Museum instills the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect, in addition to the Paralympic values of dedication, equality, inspiration and braveness in each customer. It honors yesterday’s legends with the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame whereas inspiring tomorrow’s legends by way of entertaining actions and occasions. The 60,000-square-foot attraction is greater than a museum, however a life-changing expertise that can proceed to teach and encourage the general public to participate for generations to come back.
ABOUT THE U.S. OLYMPIC & PARALYMPIC HALL OF FAME
The U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame was established in 1979 to have fun the achievements of America’s premier athletes within the fashionable Olympic and Paralympic Games. The first U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Hall of Fame class was inducted in 1983 throughout a ceremony in Chicago and included Team USA greats akin to Muhammad Ali, Bob Beamon, Peggy Fleming, Al Oerter, Jesse Owens, Wilma Rudolph, Mark Spitz, Jim Thorpe and the 1980 “Miracle on Ice” males’s hockey staff.
U.S. Women’s National Team Legend Mia Hamm Named To U.S. Olympic And Paralympic Hall Of Fame Class Of 2022 & More Latest News Update
U.S. Women’s National Team Legend Mia Hamm Named To U.S. Olympic And Paralympic Hall Of Fame Class Of 2022 & More Live News
All this information that I’ve made and shared for you individuals, you’ll prefer it very a lot and in it we hold bringing matters for you individuals like each time so that you just hold getting information info like trending matters and also you It is our aim to have the ability to get
all types of reports with out going by way of us in order that we will attain you the most recent and finest information free of charge in an effort to transfer forward additional by getting the data of that information along with you. Later on, we are going to proceed
to present details about extra today world news update varieties of newest information by way of posts on our web site so that you just at all times hold transferring ahead in that information and no matter type of info shall be there, it can undoubtedly be conveyed to you individuals.
U.S. Women’s National Team Legend Mia Hamm Named To U.S. Olympic And Paralympic Hall Of Fame Class Of 2022 & More News Today
All this information that I’ve introduced as much as you or would be the most totally different and finest information that you just individuals are not going to get wherever, together with the data Trending News, Breaking News, Health News, Science News, Sports News, Entertainment News, Technology News, Business News, World News of this information, you may get different varieties of information alongside along with your nation and metropolis. You will be capable of get info associated to, in addition to it is possible for you to to get details about what’s going on round you thru us free of charge
in an effort to make your self a educated by getting full details about your nation and state and details about information. Whatever is being given by way of us, I’ve tried to carry it to you thru different web sites, which you’ll like
very a lot and when you like all this information, then undoubtedly round you. Along with the individuals of India, hold sharing such information essential to your family members, let all of the information affect them and so they can transfer ahead two steps additional.
Credit Goes To News Website – This Original Content Owner News Website . This Is Not My Content So If You Want To Read Original Content You Can Follow Below Links