The Wahkiakum County Board of Port 1 Commissioners has agreed to continue managing County Line Park and has learned its insurance company has approved a claim that will cover repairs after the dredge sank in November.

Commissioners approved a resolution renewing an interlocal agreement with Wahkiakum County for County Line Park. The property is owned by the state of Washington, leased by Wahkiakum County, and managed by the port. County commissioners increased their support for the port for management and operating expenses by $500 for a total of $4,000 a year, according to port administrator Todd Souvenir.

Souvenir said the port’s insurance company approved his claim for the dredger after it and the port skiff sank in November. After a $1,000 deductible, the port will receive $15,092.77, which covers more than $12,000 for repairs to the two vessels, $810 for attorney fees and $3,000 to move the dredge. According to the claim, strong winds and waves caused the dredge to lose its mooring and sink. The commissioners authorized Souvenir to sign the claim.

A dredging survey is planned to assess depths in the marina and nearby channel to see what the port has gained or lost since it was last dredged, in order to make an informed decision on how to move forward with the dredging, he said. Souvenir.

diana zimmerman

The Wahkiakum County Port 1 project to electrify the area overlooking the river and the levee beyond is nearing completion.

The port has been busy with several projects, including the relocation of the A-frame cabins, a utility upgrade in the levee and river view areas, and the insulation of the yurts. They are awaiting delivery of a replacement for C Dock and making plans for a new fish cleaning table.

Souvenir said he would meet with someone to look at the designs for the new table and hoped to have a drawing and more information next month.

“I think it’s pretty exciting,” Souvenir said. “It may be a small project, but I think it will be nice and an improvement for everyone who uses it.”

Cathlamet Mayor David Olson was in attendance. He discussed the city’s waterfront park project and said they looked forward to working with the port on the venture, which he expects will take three years or more to complete.